The Reds draw first blood in Champions League thriller at Anfield amid Sallah injury

Pep Guardiola’s side enjoyed a bright start at Anfield, but the Premier League leaders were left stunned when Liverpool opened the scoring in just the 12th minute by none other than Mo Salah.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain increased the margin for the hosts’ eight minutes later with his wonderous, long-range strike before Sadio Mane sent the City fans into agony when his header from Salah’s cross flew past Ederson in the 31st minute.

Salah, whose superb debut season at Liverpool continues to go from strength to strength following his 38th goal in all competitions, saw his game cut short, however, when he went off in the second half with an apparent groin injury.

But even without their star man on the pitch, Liverpool held on to seal a 3-0 win ahead of the second leg, which takes place at the Etihad Stadium on 10 April.

Liverpool came into the first-leg clash with a defensive crisis on their hands after Joel Matip, Joe Gomez and Ragnar Klavan were all ruled out through injury. It meant Klopp partnering Virgil van Dijk and Dejan Lovren in central defence and starting Andy Robertson and Trent Alexander-Arnold in the full-back positions.

The England international, who also scored against City in the 4-3 Premier League win at Anfield back in January, was standing in an unmarked position just outside the box when he decided to unleash a powerful effort that hurtled into the top corner of the net which left Guardiola shaking his head on the touchline.

The Anfield crowd created a defeaning atmosphere as they started celebrations,

City re-emerged first on the pitch and in a better state in the second period.

Indeed, they began to test the hosts’ defence more and were on air when Salah was forced off with a groin injury early in the second half.

Klopp substituted the Egyptian with Georginio Wijnaldum and taking off Firmino and sending on Dominic Solanke.

Scoreline of UEFA Champions League quarter final first leg matches


Leave a Reply